Happy New Year!

I know, I know. It's almost March. However, I've decided since I spent so much time on creating an account for this blog, I should really update it. So here it be!

Some really great news!

I have become a member of Midtown Friends Community, a Quaker church. We strive to abolish slavery, aid those in poverty and share Christ through the arts. It's been a really wonderful place to thrive. At times I have felt that I don't have a place to belong as an artist and Christ-follower, and here I have it. We recently had a Serve Day, and to give you an idea of what that looks like, here goes:

Six Friends Churches came to Sacramento to clean up parks, collect toilet paper for the homeless, pray/bless people, educate Midtown on Urban Gardening, hold children's activities, and art outreach! 150 people came to as Becky Tucker, Midtown Friends pastor says, "put feet to the Gospel." It was twelve hours work, but it was totally worth it.





When people ask me, "What does art have to do with God?" It's difficult sometimes to explain, but here it is at its' best. God is the ultimate artist, the ultimate creator. He painted skylights and designed creatures. He inspires writers, poets, designers and artists, and through art can be a reflection of the Holy Spirit. I'm a chronic drawer. I've been drawing since I could hold crayons and as long as we attended church. In the more recent years, drawing as been an art therapy to me. Some people write, journal or pray in response to scripture. I draw, paint and write. (A great book to dive into is "The Creative Call." It's a response to the Holy Spirit) I get really weird looks when I grab a Worship Bag at church. It's intended for children and holds a mini clipboard, paper and colored pencils for busying a restless child. I thrive on this, though. Midtown Friends has an open space for painting, drawing, coloring, journaling or paper-crafting. For the more timid, you can simply do the Quaker and sit in silence, light a candle or read a Bible. It's been really great working with them to provide insight to the local community that church isn't stiff pews, organ music and robed pastors. We're a bit progressive....

Through Midtown Friends, we promote justice; fair trade coffee, artist activism and human rights shows are just a small number of things that have happened this year. We're connected to Project 61 and Food Not Bombs. And one thing I've really loved is using art for justice.






This April, I am donating artwork for heART for the Kids It will be at Tower Theatre in Roseville on Thursday, April 8th. The art show is to raise awareness for child slavery, specifically the sex trade in Cambodia. heART for the Kids is supporting AIM Cambodia, an organization focused on working with young girls and creating art with those who were sold or given up. Modern slavery is higher in numbers, and nothing is disheartening to me than knowing across the globe, girls who should be in kindergarden are being picked out for sexual favors to much, much older men. They are given up, and have never known love, nor know what hope is. AIM Cambodia will give them hope, justice, freedom and a faith to believe in. Local artist (and to me, superstar) Shane Grammar is one of the headliner artists, and it's great to get in on this project. Hopefully I'll see you there.



So as I watch "Amazing Grace" (AMAZING movie!) I'm reminded that as long as there's passion, creative inspiration and a need for justice, there's a way to make a difference! Let's see where God takes me with my art, and follow that calll...

Comments

Jaron Latona said…
You do not get weird looks when grabbing the art bags at church! I cry foul! :) Also, when was the last time you were subjected to organ music? Wait a minute - I LIKE organ music! <3


Glad you're posting again!
Monica Vega said…
Well, it's not that organ music is BAD...it's just some people have a very "traditional" idea of what church is.

Popular Posts