The Happenings in October


Wow, what else can I say is perfectly titled for last month. October was a really exciting month. As an artist, there was lots of work to keep me busy (without the business) and fun happenings to remind me that life is good.

If you tuned in last time, you saw that I started a Creative Call group on Wednesday nights. That is going really well! Call it emergent, call it progressive, self-help, whatever you'd like, I've learned it's become a blessing to others. Our group is small, which lends it to be intimate. As a leader of the group, I'm more of a mediator, an organizer, one who plans and asks questions in order to challenge ourselves to grow. I've been posting videos of the things we watch on our church's FB page, but I'll post videos here as well. Here's a few:

A Sneak Peek into the Creative Call Group:

We meet on Wednesday nights during the well. Our group meets based on a book that encourages artists and other creatives to act in faith and use our gifts to glorify God. Recognizing artists' talent gives value to people, just as Jesus gave value to people while he was here on Earth and thereafter.

Scott Erickson is an artist in residence at Ecclesia Church in Houston, Texas. He was asked to do a series of paintings in a response to an album by Derek Webb called "Feedback." Each song is a interpretation of the Lord's Prayer, a soundtrack, if you will. Creativity inspires inspiration! It's an amazing domino effect. God, the ultimate Creator, has shared the gift of creation. When we listen openly, we can hear what God wants us to create. What is abstract? Can prayer be abstract? How can art speak to you? What has God revealed to you lately? How has He before? If not, what can we do to quiet our lives and listen? How could you respond?



Scott Erickson's Mural Walk from Easter 2005:


Kirk Douglas movie, "Lust for Life." We covered a chapter on encouragement, and I used this as an example:


So that's been a blessing. ^_^

Other happenings that is art-related....hm....

I came up with an idea for a series, and I was so excited about it that I contacted a dozen or so galleries so I'd have some wall-space for the finished process. Aaaannnd that ended pretty quickly. I've been taking Spanish, which is GOOD, I've wanted to brush up on it and get my foreign language credit towards my B.A. (I'm working on making time to make some paintings, I promise!) So between that and working, it's been quite a busy autumn.

Speaking of work, this is me: We have a blog which feature most (okay, 99%) of my photos. I'm too terrified to ask if I get a slice of royalties pie, for that, but I doubt it. I'm just glad my photography is being put to good use. As for KA, I've been teaching for three years, and I learn something new and I've re-discovered how wonderful it is to work with children. I'm hoping to submit curricullum alongside the other artwork I'm making. (More about that in a moment.)

Oh! And it's been a good month for me! *Blush* I'm a shy person. No, really, I am. It's not until I meet other artists, artsy, creative people that I come alive. I was able to do an interview! That was really, really, flattering, and I'm so honored about the responses I saw.


This photo was featured in last month's Auburn Journal, our local newspaper. We were featured because our church as an "Art Wall" in the sanctuary. We have an "in" with the press, so it helps promote the artistic and creative talent we have in our church. I'm hoping we can pull more artists out of the woodwork at our church. Seriously, I've met so many more creative types since the Creative Call group started. Young people, silver and grey, pre-schoolers, middle schoolers! Squeee! Oh, and the story of the photo: My mom called/texted me out of the blue. I hadn't heard our phone go off, so the voicemail was, "My friend told me you were in the paper. She said you looked beautiful!" *Blush* It's actually a great photo. ^_^ Even better, all my friends are in it!

Oh, yeah, and then there's THIS:

This is Chapulin Colorado! He was the inspiration for my Halloween costume that my Mami helped me make. You don't have to completely understand Spanish to watch these episodes. They're really hilarious and very family friendly! If you've ever watched the Simpsons, you'll totally get it. Remember the character Bumblebee Man? When Matt Groeing was in Mexico, he caught an episode of Chapulin Colorado, he was inspired to make his own comedic superhero! The only bummer was explaining this vague superhero that is only known in Spanish speaking countries, and isn't very well-known in the U.S. I felt like some hipster superhero. ("Oh, it's this TV show in Mexico...Sigh...you've probably never heard of it.")



Between her sewing and my creativity, we were able to make this costume! I did a sneak peak photo and submitted it to Latina Magazine. So guess who showed up in this article?

Here's the finished product:

*Phew!* What else? Halloween Rocked this year! My friends are great! I'm friends with Cinderella and Jayne! Yes!!!

The lovely hostess was Melody Stone. You can read her blog here.



Oh, and here is lovely pic of me and my cat...


That's all the excitement that happened for the month of October. November has been just as exciting, but it can't all fit on this entry.

Until next time,

Art and Robots!

Monica

Comments

Popular Posts